In which we suggest who should star in the next big adaptation, remake, or historical film.
Originally created by Alex Raymond in 1934, the character of Flash Gordon is a cult hero for science fiction fanatics everywhere. Earth is being attacked by flaming meteors, and Flash Gordon and his sidekick Dale Arden are tricked by Dr. Hans Zarkov to travel to the faraway planet of Mongo to find the origin of the meteors. Once there, they are captured by the evil ruler of Mongo, Ming the Merciless. Arden is enslaved, Zarkov is brainwashed, and Flash Gordon is sentenced to death. With the help of some new friends, however, the trio battles their way through captivity and (spoiler alert) lives to see another day.
Earlier this week, Deadline reported that Matthew Vaughn is in talks to direct the next Flash Gordon, with Star Trek 3 writers Patrick McKay and J.D. Payne penning the script. Mike Hodges’s camp 1980 Flash Gordon film left ample room for a sequel, and we can only speculate as to whether Vaughn will continue the story or take Flash and friends on in a totally different direction. Regardless, here is who we would cast in our version of Flash Gordon.
Casting Call runs every Friday. For more, click here.
- “It’s Embarrassing. We Know.”: How Cazzie David and Lorde Forged a Friendship on the Internet
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse
- How Anna Nicole Smith Ended Up Marrying an 89-year-old
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- Luke Gilford Reimagines the American Cowboy