Cheetahs and zebras (“the Grace Jones and Keith Richards of the animal kingdom”), ’70s hedonism, and Maslin (Australia’s first nude beach, now a modern-day bohemian enclave): these are just a few of the inspirations behind accessories designer Pip Amey’s line of plush, life-sized, animal hide-shaped cotton beach towels. The Williamsburg-based designer first developed her luxe Resort collectibles, named for the aforementioned beach, in 2011 after a trip home to her native Australia.
Now, she’s expanding to new exotics—the Marine Tiger Hide design (“It’s a whopping 72″ long by 54″ wide, complete with tail,” says Amey), which will launch in October. And for the truly adventurous, detail-conscious traveler, a line of leather accessories is on its way for Spring/Summer 2014. “We’ll have beach and travel totes to ward off enemies, and luxury waterproof items for adventures in nature, like hand-made horn combs,” explains Amey of the Brazilian-sourced, natural leather, wood and precious stone pieces. They’re inspired by the French documentary Le Monde Selon Tippi (The World According to Tippi), which features “a five-year-old French animal whisperer” who grew up in Namibia.
The new accessories will be available next spring. But for those who can’t wait, Maslin & Co. will host its first ever sample sale at 214 Sullivan Street this Friday. The zebra towels will be available in navy and coral, and cheetah samples will sell in never-before-seen one-off editions.
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November
- Meet Roberto Lugo, the Potter Making Ceramics of Biggie and Basquiat
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- Mark Ruffalo and Philip Ettinger on Playing Four Versions of the Same Two Characters in I Know This Much Is True