Fashion Week Questionnaire: Nicolas Kirkwood
Published February 17, 2009
Rodarte just finished its Fall 2009 runway show and the element we went head over heels for is Nicolas Kirkwood’s shoes, a crazy shoe-legging combination not to be matched this season. Before the show we asked the famed footman his inspiration.
1. What was your inspiration this season?
I decided this season to explore the idea of fragmentation, I have been recently thinking of the piece, Cold Dark Matter by Cornelia Parker. Although I have always loved this piece, what interests me most as of recent is the thought of the exact moment before, of, and after the explosion. The mystery of these moments is what is intriguing to me.
2. How have shoes changed in the last year?
Platforms reached a pinnacle height last season. I think this season will see still the platform but not so extreme with more emphasis on the shape of the heel.
3. What kind of shoes do you wear?
I really should have an interesting collection of personal shoes, but alas no, I own only about three pairs, two pairs of sneakers, and one pair suede and patent dress shoes from Lanvin which I love.
4. What do you have for breakfast during Fashion Week? What do you have as a cocktail?
To get me going in the morning normally a cigarette and a large cup of sweet milky English tea, if I’m lucky a croissant also, and in the evening a margarita.
5. Where is one place you want people to walk in your shoes? One place you don’t?
To walk onto the stage to collect an Oscar for best leading lady, And after the excitement of that, not to walk off the edge of the stage missing the stairs completely. Not a good look.
6. What do you want people to know about your shoes?
They’re easier to walk in than they look.
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- “The Spectacle Can Never Be Trauma”: Nia DaCosta and Taika Waititi on Exorcism Through Art
- “It’s Going to Be Mad”: Anya Taylor-Joy Gets Back to Work
- A no-nonsense conversation between Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Kerry Washington
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation