Weekend News Roundup! Wyclef is Shot; Knut is Dead; Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a Villain; Franca Sozzani is Taking a Stand
Published March 21, 2011
WE’LL MISS YOU (AND YOUR WARDROBE), T-MOBILE GIRL!
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• Wyclef Jean was shot in the hand in Port-au-Prince, Haiti on Saturday. It was the night before Haiti’s runoff presidential election; though Wyclef originally planned to run for president, he was barred because he doesn’t live primarily in Haiti. [People]
• AT&T announced Sunday that it will buy T-Mobile for $39 billion. Does that mean no more commercials with that girl who has all the pretty pink dresses?! [NYT]
• Limitless took the weekend box office, with $19M. Rango and Battle Los Angeles followed with about $15M each, and The Lincoln Lawyer and Paul made a little over $13M each. [BOM]
• Joseph Gordon-Levitt has been cast in The Dark Knight Rises, Christopher Nolan’s third Batman movie, as bad-guy mobster’s son Alberto Falcone. While we’re excited to see JGL take on the challenge, we may have to be incepted before we’ll believe he’s anything other than sweet as pie. [HuffPo]
• Four-year-old Knut, the unbelievably adorable polar bear from Berlin, died without warning on Saturday. Nothing gold can stay. [Yahoo]
• Franca Sozzani discovered that pro-anorexia websites and community forums exist, and now Italian Vogue has started a petition to end those sites. Seems like kind of a dewy-eyed idea, but hey, every little bit helps. [Vogue.it]
• Michelle Trachtenberg has been cast as the female lead in a CBS comedy to be produced by Adam Sandler’s production company, Happy Madison. She’ll play a mailroom clerk at a venture capital firm who suddenly gets promoted to junior associate. [Deadline]
- The Perfect Halloween Costume for Your Sign, According to Benny Drama
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse
- Talk Hole Says VOTE!
- The Boulet Brothers Spill Their Guts on Everything Scary, from Fake Blood to Jeffrey Toobin