Weekend News Roundup! Kathryn Bigelow’s Osama Project; Proenza’s Jewelry Project; Mariah’s Motherhood Project
Published May 2, 2011
LAZARO AND JACK, READY TO ADORN YOU.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• The Hurt Locker director Kathryn Bigelow’s next project is reportedly an indie called Kill Bin Laden, about an unsuccessful mission to kill Osama bin Laden. As Deadline points out, the film is probably the timeliest project in Hollywood at the moment, after President Obama’s announcement last night that bin Laden actually has been hunted down and killed by US Special Forces. [Deadline]
• In case you’re going through withdrawal symptoms now that all the royal wedding hype is over, you can relive it all with these official wedding portraits. Fashionista notes that tiny, hilarious bridesmaid Grace Van Cutsem took her hands off her ears for the portraits; however, we’d like to add that she still looks incredibly put-out to be there. [Fashionista]
• Fast Five slayed the weekend box office with $83.6M, which is the biggest opening for 2011 so far and the third-biggest non-holiday or summer opening ever. Rio, Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Big Happy Family, Water for Elephants, and Prom all trickled in, dejected and ashamed, with between $5M and $14.4M. [BOM]
• Mariah Carey gave birth to twins on Saturday, which was her wedding anniversary. Aww! Can’t wait to see the pictures in whichever magazine will pay for them. [Jezebel]
• Proenza Schouler will reportedly launch a costume jewelry line during the pre-collection season. According to WWD, it will be a “season-less, classic line that will be reprised each season in different colors and materials.” Is it too early to start working on our Christmas list? It’s too early, right? [WWD]
• HBO’s How to Make It in America is currently casting for “featured hipsters,” according to a refreshingly honest Craigslist casting notice. All the real hipsters we know are currently passing this around and laughing at it; they’re in for a rude awakening when they decide to “secretly” try out, “as a joke,” and run into all their friends at the auditions. [Craigslist]
- The Perfect Halloween Costume for Your Sign, According to Benny Drama
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse
- Yes, We’re Still Dressing Up for Halloween
- Why Mia Wallace’s outfit made Pulp Fiction’s dance scene so iconic