Weekend News Roundup! J.Lo and Anthony are Over; News of the World Gets Crazier; Potter Breaks All the Records
Published July 18, 2011
JENNIFER LOPEZ, NEWLY MINTED SINGLE LADY.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony are ending their marriage after seven years. They released a boilerplate statement about it: painful time, appreciate the respect of their privacy, etc., etc. [Vulture]
• A lot more stuff happened in the News of the World saga: Les Hinton, CEO of Dow Jones, resigned on Friday night; Rebekah Brooks, News International CEO, also resigned and then was arrested; and two top British police officers—Sir Paul Stephenson, commissioner of London’s Metropolitan Police, and John Yates, the Metropolitan Police’s deputy commissioner—both resigned as well after the police’s handling of early evidence of phone hacking came under intense criticism from the media. [Guardian, Times, Times]
• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 broke the all-time record for highest-grossing opening weekend, with $168.6M domestically. (It made $475M worldwide.) Some other movies also made a little bit of money—Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Horrible Bosses, Zookeeper, and Cars 2, respectively—but not very much money when you consider that Harry Potter made $168.6 million. [BOM]
• Victoria Beckham tweeted a photo of her newborn daughter, and she’s (obviously) very cute. [@victoriabeckham]
• Also, Ivanka Trump gave birth to a daughter on Sunday. [People]
• The Post strengthened our crush on Anthony Mackie with this item, which explains that Mackie, an accomplished carpenter, built everything in his new Brooklyn bar, NoBar, “except the chairs,” with his own two hands. Those hands! [P6]
• Lamb and Lynx Gaede, those blonde tweens who used to sing white-power folk anthems as a duo called Prussian Blue, aren’t white nationalists (or tweens) anymore! They’re “pretty liberal” now, thanks in part to medical marijuana. [Daily]
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- Nathan Fielder and Louis Theroux Teach a Masterclass on the Art of Awkward
- “It’s Going to Be Mad”: Anya Taylor-Joy Gets Back to Work