Weekend News Roundup! Britney and Rihanna, Together at Last; U2 Breaks a Record; Costco’s Million-Dollar Ring
Published April 11, 2011
BRITNEY SPEARS LENT HER PIPES TO A RIHANNA TRACK, BUT IT WAS NOT—AHEM—THE ONE WE WERE HOPING FOR.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• In a brand-new remix of Rihanna’s “S&M,” Britney Spears lends a verse. Here’s hoping this portends a more involved collaboration between the two. [Vulture/NYM]
• Iconic filmmaker Sidney Lumet, who directed such films as Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, Network, 12 Angry Men, and Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead, passed away of lymphoma on Saturday at the age of 86. [NYT]
• Hop maintained the top spot in the weekend box office, with $21.7M. Arthur, Hanna, and Soul Surfer opened in the 2-4 spots, $11-13M each, and Insidious rounded out the top 5 with $9.7M. James Marsden will have the lobster tonight! [BOM]
• Gael García Bernal’s partner, Argentine actress Dolores Fonzi, has given birth to the couple’s second child, Libertad. If Libertad is anything like her father, she’s adorable. [People]
• According to LiveNation, as of this evening’s concert in Brazil, U2’s 360° tour will break the record for most successful tour of all time. Final ticket sales, once the tour wraps up in Canada in July, will exceed $700 million. No Line on the Horizon, indeed! [THR]
• Costco now sells a $1 million, 6.77-carat diamond solitaire engagement ring. Plus, it’s returnable! [Consumerist]