Is the Golden Globes’s favorite roast-master back for more? Reports surfaced today that Ricky Gervais has been asked to return as host for the 2012 awards show, scheduled to air live from Los Angeles in January. Of course, the comedian (who also hosted in 2010) caused quite a stir at last year’s show when he took potshots at Charlie Sheen, Robert Downey, Jr., Angelina Jolie, and Tom Cruise, among others, which many in the press deemed below the belt. Gervais, for his part, refused to apologize, and it would appear many in Hollywood were able to take the notoriously-cheeky Brit’s jokes in stride, at least as evidenced by this hilarious clip from Gervais’ upcoming BBC series Life’s Too Short, featuring Johnny Depp.
Asked about the possibility of a return gig earlier this year, Gervais expressed skepticism before adding that, in the unlikely event that he did get the invite, he would “go fucking mental.” This begs the question: which Hollywood stars and starlets are ripe for the picking this year? Call us sadistic, but we’d love to see Gervais throw a few barbs at squeaky-clean golden boys Ryan Gosling and Leonardo DiCaprio, both of whom have had big years, as well as pal Chris Martin’s longtime love, Gwyneth Paltrow. Whether the potential host has the globes to take on such meaty targets remains to be seen, but one thing is for sure: it’s going to be awfully fun to see where Gervais aims his arrows come January 15.
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- “Well, This Is Awkward”: Christine and the Queens and Troye Sivan Make Post-Pandemic Plans
- Helmut Newton’s Escape Room
- Gunna and Young Thug Share Rules to Live By: Smoke After Sex, Keep Your Kitchen Lit
- Uncut Gems’s “Handsome Older Man” Wayne Diamond Establishes a New Legacy