Leica Sets a New Gold Standard
Published February 4, 2010
Leica rings in the (Chinese) New Year with a pretty extravagant party gift, a 24-karat version of their MP Camera. Created to commemorate sixty years of the Peoples’ Republic of China, the gold plated camera is inscribed with one of Mao’s favorite quotes and an image of Tiennamen Square. Ringing in at a cool $30,000, Leica is producing only 60of these luxe shooters, each of which is inscribed with a different year from the era of the People’s Republic. Released on the eve of the new lunar year and encased in the lucky colors of red and gold, it is maybe the most excessive “Hung Bao” or lucky pocket ever created. But what better way to document the Year of the Tiger?
- The Perfect Halloween Costume for Your Sign, According to Benny Drama
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- The Provocative, Uninhibited, and Naked Bodies of Spyros Rennt
- “It’s Going to Be Mad”: Anya Taylor-Joy Gets Back to Work
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse