If he hadn’t gone on to study drama, Isaac Cole Powell would have likely joined the family business as a landscape architect. But the office of admissions at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts had other plans for the aspiring theater star. Four years and change later, he has been cast as Tony in Ivo van Hove’s Broadway revival of West Side Story. “There’s this superstition that you’re not supposed to say ‘Macbeth’ in the theater. You say ‘The Scottish Play’ instead. I don’t know if I really buy into that, but I am very superstitious about other things. If I see a penny and it’s heads up, I always pick it up. But then I always put it back down for someone else to pick up, because then I get the luck and the karma.”
This article appears in the winter 2019 issue of Interview magazine. Subscribe here.
Hair: Rubi Jones at Julian Watson Agency using Bumble & Bumble.
Makeup: Grace Ahn at Julian Watson Agency using Chanel Les Beiges.
Fashion Assistant: Dominic Dopico.
- Call Him Deacon: The Rising Producer Makes a Bid for Music Stardom
- Adam Sandler Interviews Aubrey Plaza About Her Mind-Blowing New Role
- Maya Rudolph Takes Questions From 26 Famous Friends and Admirers
- Like Everyone Else, Mackenzie Davis and Charlize Theron Discuss Happiest Season
- Machine Gun Kelly Tells Dave Franco About the Year That Saved His Life