ABOVE: MANICANPARTY. PHOTO COURTESY OF ADAM ROSS
The revolution may not be televised, but chances are good it’ll end up on YouTube; and if so, we’d prefer it look something like synth-pop duo Manicanparty’s new video for “War Paint,” whose rallying-cry chorus has some demands for the listener: “Put your warpaint on / Stomp your feet on the ground / Kick up the dirt up to the heavens / Shoot me down, shoot me down.” In the video, a group of insurgents prepare for class war against vague structural inequality handily made manifest by a gluttonous, bionic-shoulder-pad wearing oligarch. Outfitted in a Divergent-style palette of functional neutrals, they throw powder around and smash up concrete like they mean business, all in the service of a rebel queen played by Manicanparty singer Jess Corazza, who sports the kind of serious braid that could put Katniss Everdeen to shame. We’d go to the mat for her, too.
FOR MORE ON MANICANPARTY, PLEASE VISIT ITS WEBSITE.
- Ask a Sane Person: Jia Tolentino on Practicing the Discipline of Hope
- Phoebe Bridgers and Brandon Flowers on Transformation and Talking Shit
- Donna Missal and Shania Twain on Creative Freedom and Owning Their Sexuality
- Adult Film Star Sean Ford Wants to Make Intimacy Sexy Again
- Thirstory: Getting Down and Dirty with Zac Efron