“The monsters I thought about are those that don’t fit in—those who think differently from the majority, the people of exception, outsiders. I wish that society would place more importance and value on these kinds of monsters.”—Rei Kawakubo
Comme des Garçons’ tour de force Fall ’14 show redefined the boundaries of what fashion can be. Designer Rei Kawakubo’s vision of huge knitted extensions, that distorted familiar clothing archetypes to create new otherworldly silhouettes, challenges the conventions of fashion. Rejecting all that could be considered ordinary while commenting on the extremes in today’s humanity, Kawakubo’s beautiful monsters stand proud.
- Ask a Sane Person: Jia Tolentino on Practicing the Discipline of Hope
- Phoebe Bridgers and Brandon Flowers on Transformation and Talking Shit
- Donna Missal and Shania Twain on Creative Freedom and Owning Their Sexuality
- Adult Film Star Sean Ford Wants to Make Intimacy Sexy Again
- Ask a Sane Person: Jack Halberstam Isn’t Here to Comfort You