Weekend News Roundup! Christina Aguilera’s Anthem Flub; LCD Soundsystem’s Final Show; Blake Lively as Carrie Bradshaw?
Published February 7, 2011
“I COULDN’T HELP BUT WONDER: DID OUR RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS MEAN WE WERE ALL IN A KIND OF PRISON?”
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• The Green Bay Packers won Super Bowl XLV last night, beating the Pittsburgh Steelers 31-25. Among the most-discussed topics of the evening were Christina Aguilera’s creative (wrong) interpretation of the National Anthem’s lyrics, a less-than-stellar halftime show headlined by the Black Eyed Peas, and commercials for Best Buy, Chrysler, and Volkswagen. [Gawker.tv, THR, AdAge]
• The Times reported just after midnight this morning (maybe the reporters wanted to catch the end of the Super Bowl?) that AOL will buy The Huffington Post in a $315 million deal, mostly in cash. HuffPo began six years ago with a $1 million investment—so yeah, pretty decent return. [NYT]
• The Roommate won the weekend box office with $15.6M (almost its whole budget!), beating out the James Cameron-backed 3D underwater-cave-exploration flick Sanctum, which made $9.2M. No Strings Attached, The King’s Speech, and The Green Hornet rounded out the top 5. [BOM]
• LCD Soundsystem will play their final show on April 2 at Madison Square Garden, after which they’ll officially retire. The show will reportedly last “nearly three hours,” and the band has requested that all those in attendance wear black, white, or black and white. [Pitchfork]
• Rumor (well, British-tabloid rumor) has it that Sex and the City director Michael Patrick King wants Blake Lively to play baby Carrie Bradshaw in a Sex prequel based on Candace Bushnell’s The Carrie Diaries. Back when she took the subway and wore Candies? [Observer]
• Cult-favorite actress Tura Satana, the curvaceous star of Russ Meyer’s Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!, died of heart failure in Reno on Friday. [LAT]
• Shia LaBeouf got into a fight with another customer at Mad Bull’s Tavern on Saturday morning. He was punched in the face, and both he and the other party were questioned and handcuffed by police but ultimately released without being charged. Meanwhile, Lindsay Lohan faces felony charges for lifting a necklace from a Venice, CA jewelry store. [WaPo]
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- A no-nonsense conversation between Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Kerry Washington
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- “It’s Going to Be Mad”: Anya Taylor-Joy Gets Back to Work
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse