CONFIDENTIAL TO ELLEN DEGENERES: KATY’S BROUGHT HER BOOBS OUT BEFORE!
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• At last night’s Grammy Awards, Chris Brown and Rihanna snuggled up, Ellen DeGeneres gawked at Katy Perry’s boobs, and some people won some trophies: Gotye got Record of the Year for “Somebody That I Used to Know,” Mumford and Sons won Album of the Year for Babel, and fun. won Best New Artist and Song of the Year for “We Are Young.” [Grammy]
• This video made by some genius at Gawker of famous people dancing at the Grammys in decreasing order of enthusiasm is pretty great. Most enthusiastic: Taylor Swift! Least enthusiastic: Jay-Z. Middle enthusiasm: Nicole Kidman. [Gawker]
• Pope Benedict XVI is resigning, citing “advanced age” and physical frailty. He’s the first pope to quit since Gregory XII in 1415. Nobody even knows who the next pope will be, but let’s all hope he’s willing to evolve a little. [NYT]
• Ben Affleck continued his Directing Oscar Snub Blue Streak last night at the BAFTA Awards, where Argo won Best Film, Director, and Editing. Other winners included Daniel Day-Lewis for Lincoln and Emmanuelle Riva for her devastating turn in Amour. And poor Eddie Redmayne had horrible food poisoning the whole time and was, reportedly, “puking his guts out backstage.” [EW, PH]
• Identity Thief won the weekend box office handily, with $36.6M, an impressive haul for February! Warm Bodies made $11.5M in its second week, and Side Effects opened in third at $10M. Silver Linings Playbook and Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters finished out the top five with $6.9M and $5.8M. [BOM]
• Justin Timberlake debuted a new song last night at the Grammys. It is eight minutes long; it is called “Mirrors;” and it is pure Timberlake. Enjoy! [Popdust]
• More music news to look forward to: a new Drake album, called Nothing Was the Same, due out this summer. Watch the first music video, for a track called “Started from the Bottom,” at the link. Drizzy wears a white sweatsuit in a snowstorm, doing a lot of shruggy dancing! And there’s a weird, gross grocery-store interlude where a bunch of dudes harass a pretty lady. Can’t win ’em all. [Pitchfork]
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- What Is Magic? Keiynan Lonsdale and Jacob Collier Look to Art for Answers
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November
- This Was Not the Publication Year Brandon Taylor Expected