THE CAMPAIGN FOR MTV MOVIE AWARDS: BEST KISS BEGINS.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over theweekend.
• Comic Con took place in San Diego: the first footage from Kurt Sutter’s new show The Bastard Executioner debuted. The cast of The Suicide Squad made a surprise appearance followed by a lot of Instagram posting. They also showed a trailer, which subsequently leaked. Batman V. Superman also showed new footage featuring Jeremy Irons as the new Alfred and Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher kissed. Orphan Black released a bloopers video. Congressman and civil rights activist John Lewis dressed up as himself circa Selma. Harry Potter, Games of Thrones, and Doctor Who in one selfie. [THR, EW, CTV, Wired, E!]
• Zayn Malik and Naughty Boy are no longer friends (they were working together, Naughty Boy leaked a track like a naughty boy, Zayn Malik called him a “fat joke” on Twitter, the first half of which seems a little unnecessary). [EW]
• Cherie Currie and Joan Jett both released statements in response to Jackie Fuchs account of being being raped by the manager of their band the Runaways in the mid-70s. According to Fuchs, both Currie and Jett witnessed her rape. [Pitchfork]
• David Letterman didn’t regret retiring until Donald Trump announced he was running for President. [Gawker]
• Can we be this lady when we’re 108? [E!]
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- A Truly Bonkers Conversation Between Lisa Kudrow and Lily Tomlin
- Mark Ruffalo and Philip Ettinger on Playing Four Versions of the Same Two Characters in I Know This Much Is True
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- “Well, This Is Awkward”: Christine and the Queens and Troye Sivan Make Post-Pandemic Plans