Here’s our compendium of pop culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• David Bowie passed away on Sunday from cancer. He had just turned 69. [NYT]
• In an ethically ill-advised move, Sean Penn interviewed Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, the fugitive leader of the Sinaloa drug cartel, for Rolling Stone.
• The Golden Globes happened. Ricky Gervais hosted, but things didn’t get too dicey until he had to introduce Mel Gibson. Big winners of the night included The Revenant, The Martian, Mr. Robot, and Mozart in the Jungle. [Golden Globes]
• Star Wars: The Force Awakens won the box office again, but The Revenant came in a close second. [BOM]
• Lady Gaga, who won a Golden Globe last night for performance in American Horror Story, and her fiancé Taylor Kinney took a nude selfie for the cover of V. All of the proceeds from the issue are going to charity. [Vulture]
• A Staten Island deli sold a $165 million lottery ticket. [NYDN]
• Anthony Hopkins is sorry he made a Silence of the Lambs sequels. [The Wrap]