Weekend News Roundup! Piss Christ Destroyed; Gaga’s New Album Cover; Kate Middleton’s Dress Designer Revealed?
FRANKLY, LADY GAGA’S NEW ALBUM COVER LOOKS SORT OF PHOTOSHOPPED TO US.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• A group of young Catholic activists attacked Andres Serrano’s “Piss Christ” at a gallery in Avignon, France, on Saturday; they smashed the acrylic screen guarding the photo and slashed it, likely with a screwdriver or ice pick, then destroyed another photograph, of a nun’s praying hands. [Guardian]
• Lady Gaga tweeted the cover of her new album, and it’s… kind of amazingly bad! The cover, by Nick Knight, features Gaga in the process of completing her transformation into a motorcycle. [Twitpic]
• The new animated movie Rio handily won the weekend box office with an encouraging $40M—more than double the intake of Scream 4‘s second-place opening at $19.3M. Hop, Soul Surfer, and Hanna finished out the top 5. [BOM]
• Nicolas Cage was arrested in New Orleans on Saturday for domestic abuse and disturbing the peace. Dog the Bounty Hunter bailed him out of jail (oh, of course!), and he’ll go to court May 31. [People]
• Huffington Post reports that Kate Middleton’s wedding dress is being designed by little-known British designer Sophie Cranston, who cut her teeth at McQueen and Temperley. According to HuffPo, the palace hasn’t announced Cranston’s identity “to protect Cranston and her family from media scrutiny for as long as possible.” [HuffPo]
• Britney Spears has finally come to an amicable agreement with Kevin Federline that will allow her to regain partial custody of her two sons, Sean Preston and Jayden, with Federline. She says she’ll be taking the boys on tour with her during the North American leg of her Femme Fatale tour starting in June. [Express]