GAGA PRACTICES HER VERY SERIOUS PRESIDENT-MEETING EXPRESSION.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• After the suicide of her fan Jamey Rodemeyer, who faced bullying for his homosexuality, Lady Gaga last week declared on Twitter that “I am meeting with our President. I will not stop fighting. This must end. Our generation has the power to end it.” And she did meet the President over the weekend—but it was at a fundraiser she paid to attend, not because she has Hillary Clinton on speed-dial. Tickets for the fundraiser, held at Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg’s house, were $38,500. Gaga stood up during the Q&A portion of the evening, read a letter from a fan about Jamey’s death, and made a general plea to end bullying. Obama thanked her for her remark and talked about his anti-bullying campaign. [ABC]
• Say what you will about Alexa Chung; at least she’s honest. “I’m very much a cookie-cutter hipster. So, I feel a little bit bad about the fact that, essentially, I’m a hipster but I’m the only one that the rest of the world said, ‘Hey you’ve got really great style!’ But literally everyone in Williamsburg and East London has this,” she said. [Refinery29]
• The Lion King in 3D held onto the top box-office spot this weekend with $22.1M; the four films opening behind it were Moneyball ($20.6M), Dolphin Tale ($20.3M), Abduction ($11.2M), and Killer Elite ($9.5M). Naaaas-enfreya baddabipsee waboooo. [BOM]
• Interview pal Lake Bell has been hired as The Hollywood Reporter‘s automotive contributing editor, after having reviewed a Porsche, a Maserati, a Cadillac, and a Jaguar for the trade rag. Congratulations, Lake! [THR]
• Kate and Pippa Middleton went to a friend’s wedding over the weekend, wearing clothes! They both looked great, duh, and satisfied our fascinator requirement for the week. [People]
• Here’s a list of some places you can buy “real” discounted Missoni, if you missed out on the Missoni-for-Target blitz and/or are too good for diffusion lines. [MAS]