Weekend News Roundup! Sheen Goes Public-Access? Kanye Goes to College? Middleton Goes for a McQueen?
Published March 7, 2011
IF KATE MIDDLETON DOES GO WITH A MCQUEEN LOOK FOR HER WEDDING, WE’RE HOPING IT’S THIS ONE.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• Charlie Sheen debuted a new online show on UStream, Sheen’s Korner, with the slogan “You’re either in Sheen’s Korner or you’re with the trolls.” Though the broadcast was called the “premiere episode,” no future schedule has been provided. Saturday Night Live also did a sketch this week in which Sheen has a talk show, called Duh! Winning!, on which Lindsay Lohan, Muammar Qaddafi, and John Galliano stopped by as guests. [Deadline]
• Rumor has it Kanye West has applied to study at Central Saint Martins, the London alma mater of Alexander McQueen, Hamish Bowles, Phoebe Philo, and Colin Firth. If accepted, he’ll pursue a Master’s in fashion, which does beg the question—how can he get a Master’s without finishing his undergrad degree? He built a whole career on being a college dropout. [Sun via Racked]
• In further London news, both the Telegraph and the Sunday Times are reporting that Kate Middleton will wear an Alexander McQueen gown designed by Sarah Burton for the royal wedding. But a spokeswoman and the CEO of McQueen both said it’s not true. Who can we believe?! [THR]
• Animated Johnny Depp vehicle Rango led the weekend box office, with a respectable $38M. It was trailed by The Adjustment Bureau with $21M and Beastly with $10M. Hall Pass made $9M, and Gnomeo and Juliet closed out the top 5 with $7M. [BOM]
• Gwyneth Paltrow is reportedly close to signing a deal with Atlantic Records. Could that be why last week’s GOOP was such a cop-out? [P6]
• Gothamist explains how to get a $400/month rent-stabilized apartment in the city. It’s easier than you think! [Gothamist]