Rob Pruitt, Master of Ceremonies
Published October 28, 2009
One important thing to know about Rob Pruitt‘s First Annual Art Awards at the Guggenheim this Thursday, is that the artist likes award shows—so the ceremony isn’t meant as any kind of affliction for an art world given over to popular insincerity. Asked to narrow award shows down to his favorite, he says, “I like the Teen Choice Awards, and the MTV Music Awards and MTV Movie Awards and the Oscars and the Grammys, and the Tonys.”
The night will follow the Academy Awards close to the letter, with performances and dance routines planned. Categories follow the Academy Awards’ lead, and include awards for Best New Artist and Lifetime Achievement. Artforum publisher Knight Landesman, high-profile artists Cecily Brown and Nate Lowman, Sofia Coppola and Mary-Kate Olsen will all present awards. Pruitt is particularly excited that Kylie Minogue and Julianne Moore will present, although he reports it was event sponsor Calvin Klein that got both involved, rather than any pull of his own, or the art. Read the full preview on Art in America’s web site.
PHOTO BY KAI REGEN. COURTESY THE GUGGENHEIM.
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- Chelsea Handler and Martha Stewart on the Hilarious Journey of Becoming a Better Person
- A Conversation Between Senator Anne Ranch and Demi Lovato (and Danny DeVito)