Hair Woes of Summer
DON'T FRET! YOU, TOO, CAN HAVE BEACH-PERFECT HAIR THROUGH LABOR DAY AND BEYOND.
We're in the thick of it now. And while there's nothing like a mid-afternoon retreat to the beach (summer Friday, anyone?), the heat has its downside too—like the stress of summer on your strands. Humidity, oily scalp, stripped color, sun damage, and frizz are five of the biggest summer hair woes—but we're here to help, so we asked celebrity hairstylist extraordinaire Jen Atkin to impart her wisdom on how to fix these hairy issues. After all, we women have a lot more pressing things to deal with—like which shoes to wear to which barbecue...
"Humidity causes thick, curly hair to frizz and become uncontrollable. And thin, straight hair will become limp and weighed down," Atkin says.
Quick fix: "I love Fekkai Coiff Anti Frizz Silkening Creme. It defrizzes hair under any weather or styling condition and keeps it like that all day."
"As far as oily hair goes, its usually a sign of B vitamin deficiency," Atkin suggests, "or excess sebum on the scalp."
Quick fix: "You may want to try taking fish oil every day. Also, the vitamin Biotin may help with the hair loss. Au Naturel Dry Shampoo by Fekkai is my favorite because you put it in your hand, then on roots, so it distributes more evenly."
"The sun's UVA and UVB rays fade hair color faster on people who spend a lot of time outside, especially during the summer."
Quick fix: "Choose hair products containing antioxidants, like Vitamins A, C, E, selenium and zinc. Antioxidants work to fight free radicals before damage can be done to hair. I love Nioxin System 1 Scalp Treatment."
Damage from sun, the ocean, or chlorine
"The pool, sea air, and water can really do a number on hair, especially when combined with sunlight," Atkin says. "Not only does chlorine discolor hair, it damages proteins in the hair cuticle."
Quick fix: "Hair products that provide sun protection from UV rays are critical during summer. Here are a few of my favorites:
• FEKKAI Beach Wave Spray: It creates surf-sexy texture and has sea kelp that hydrates and blocks moisture loss for sexy, tousled waves. It also has a UV shield that helps prevent color fading. Best to take with you on Vacation!
• Use a clarifying shampoo, like Nioxin Intensive Therapy Clarifying Shampoo at least once per week and more often if you swim. It will remove mineral buildup and environmental pollutants.
• A moisturizing treatment or mask (like Fekkai Salon Color Care Mositure Mask) is crucial in keeping hair nourished and looking shiny. Choose a protein- and nutrient-rich product, and don't skimp on the time. Leave it on for at least 15 minutes to ensure proper penetration of the hair shaft. Leave it on your hair while sunbathing."
Frizzy or out-of-control curls
"When curly hair becomes damaged or dry, the curls frizz out, and if you live in a humid climate, it gets even worse," Atkin says.
Quick fix: "There are a couple of quick fixes. And they happen to be DIY remedies!
• Carbonated water rinse: If you often let your curls air dry, this is a great remedy to eliminate hair frizz caused by humidity. After you wash your hair, give it a final rinse with carbonated or sparkling water. The reason carbonated or sparkling water reduces frizz is because of its low pH level.
• Apple cider vinegar: This is another great natural remedy that is very effective in preventing frizzy hair. Wash your hair as you normally would, and give it a final rinse with equal parts water and apple cider vinegar. Another great benefit of apple cider vinegar is shine.
• Beer: Beer is another great rinse option; it replenishes moisture in your hair. Dark beers often provide the most nutrients and moisture. Just coat your hair and let it sit for a few minutes. When ready, rinse your hair with cold water—which will also help get rid of the smell."
SARAH HOWARD IS THE EDITOR OF BEAUTY BANTER.
Find This Article: http://www.interviewmagazine.com/fashion/2011-07-08/hair-woes-of-summer/