AS LONG AS JUSTIN BIEBER KEEPS MAKING THE NEWS, WE'RE GOING TO KEEP USING THIS PHOTO.
Happy Monday! Here's our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• We were a little confused on Friday after reading all those reports about Justin Bieber's play date to see The Lion King on Broadway with model Barbara Palvin; when did he break up with Selena Gomez?, we wondered. The answer, as it turns out, is last week! [People]
• Jay-Z and Coldplay will co-headline a show at Barclays Center on New Year's Eve. Heads-up to the Cool Dads of the world: no Christmas present to your 16-year-old will cement your status better than tickets to it. [Pitchfork]
• Azealia Banks released a new video, for "Atlantis," from her Fantasea mixtape. In it, she is a sort of Technicolor mermaid princess. Business as usual. [Vulture/NYM]
• Skyfall slayed the weekend box office, opening at $87.8M. Wreck-It Ralph and Flight put in respectable numbers, as well: $33.1M and $15.1M; the box office dropped off sharply after that, with Argo and Taken 2 making $6.7M and $4M, respectively. [BOM]
• We're not in Kansas anymore—we're in Beverly Hills, where spending $480,000 on a piece of movie memorabilia doesn't sound so crazy. And that's exactly how much one collector paid for Judy Garland's iconic blue gingham Wizard of Oz dress. [THR]
• Sufjan Stevens continues to delight us with unexpected covers (we really dug his eerie "Star-Spangled Banner" last week); here is his take on a Prince track, "Alphabet St."! [COS]
• After five years as the show's narrator, Kristen Bell will finally appear on Gossip Girl, in its final episode. We're really hoping Christian Bale makes a cameo, too. [Us]